Thursday, 27 July 2017

It's not OK to take & use photos of my children.

I could have posted this blog post last week but I didn't think it was a good idea to post it when I was so angry!

Before I start this blog post and explain what made me angry I want to send a message to the person/boy in question! I do not appreciate people coming onto my blog, downloading my photos on to their computer and then printing them out!.....It is not OK to take photos of my children and use them!

Just because they are online it doesn't mean they are free to take....If a shop has a display of their goods outside you wouldn't just help yourself?....This is the same thing. Just because it's there doesn't mean you can take it!!

My words and photos are classed as my property and to take them and use them in the way that you did is breaking some sort of law.....So think about it before you steal my photos again! 


Last Wednesday I got a phone call from my teen's school....One of Becky's teachers was letting me know Becky had been to see her in tears about some boy who had been looking at photos on my blog....She was worried she would be in trouble from me. I don't know why? but I have told her in the past not to tell every tom, dick and harry that I have a blog for this reason....While on the phone I just assumed they were reading my blog online....That is the impression the teacher gave....

Becky rang me when she got out of school and started telling me about it...The boy had actually printed out photos and had them in school.....One of her friend had grabbed some of the photos so Becky could see them....The photos were random one's from a day out, the first day back at school in her new uniform last year and two from when she fell off her scooter and hurt her nose.....The teacher said the boy was apologetic and said he was excited about finding her online.....It was all innocent but I found it rather creepy. With just the photos there was no sense to them. They were just normal photos with no story....Hmm. The boy sees her every day at school, why does he need photos?

When Becky got in she said he had been bullying her this week along with another girl...She didn't say anything because her friends said just ride it out until the end of term....She wasn't that bothered by it and felt like she could deal with it until the photos came about....I got straight on the phone to the school and they were been brilliant. The boy is in trouble and left her alone for the last couple of days at school....

Things like this really make me think twice about putting photos of my girls online but Becky loves appearing on my blog but I always run every photo and blog post mentioning her past her before I post them.

I had a long chat with Becky about the situation and I was all for never posting a photo of her again but she said why should one special snowflake ruin the fun she has on my blog? The kid wasn't having a go at her because of my blog....If her friend hadn't seen the photos Becky may never have found out....I just find it very weird.....

Some of Becky's friends know about my blog and think it's pretty cool....I am assuming he found out through them....

I'm glad school has finished. If anything happens over the summer I have been advised to contact the police.


36 comments :

  1. It is always a worry when we put our loved ones out there. I hope the boy was just foolish but hearing he had been bullying her is a worry. I keep my grandsons identity secret so that in the future images will not come up when his name is googled. Once he is older then obviously his school friends will recognise him. I think your daughter is very sensible and she should continue to feature on your blog. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sally...
      It is really sensible keeping your grandsons name secret. x

      Delete
  2. It is all very strange and weird. And it makes you think twice about posting about your children. I think the boy may have a little crush on Becky, a lot of boys bully when they like someone because they can't understand their feelings or how to behave properly at that age ?? just a thought. I'm glad the school were helpful and I really hope it doesn't happen again. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is very odd. Having a crush on her did cross my mind. If he did he's well and truly blown his chances. lol Thank you x

      Delete
  3. Oh gosh I worry about things like this. Big man was turned into a meme last year and I'm dreading it might come back again. I like Becky's attitude

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Your poor boy. People can be so nasty. I hope nothing like that happens again.
      Becky has a great attitude about it. Thank you x

      Delete
  4. How horrible for Becky I hope she's ok niw. Olivia has decided to not be such a big part of my blog for reasons like this. She doesn't mention to anyone about it and neither do I xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's fine with it now...She wanted to put even more photos than I usually do on here just to show him we don't care. lol
      Thank you x

      Delete
  5. Oh that must have been pretty awful for Becky, especially as she enjoys being a part of your blog. I do question what I'm doing on regular basis, but I think you did the right thing and Becky clearly loves being part of it so she's right, why let one person spoil it for her?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was more a shock than anything that got to her. She's happy carrying on which means I am too x

      Delete
  6. Definitely not ok to take your photos from your blog. Sounds like you have done the right thing and that Becky has coped well. Hopefully it won't happen again x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope it doesn't happen again. I said to the school that they should educate children about the rights and wrongs when it comes to the internet. x

      Delete
  7. I would be so worried about posting children's photos on my blog. There are crazy people in the world. At the same time, your daughter enjoys being part of the blog. It gives you a special connection. Sounds like she's well grounded too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is crazy people in the world but they are few and far between.

      Delete
  8. I was scared of this before. Not only my photos being stolen but also my blog being found out in my son's school. I am so glad that you managed to work things out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much to worry about when it comes to blogging. Thank you x

      Delete
  9. Oh no :( I can imagine how stressed you have been. I still tell my Daughter not to tell her friends as I don't want her to get laughed at or anything like this. When I first started my blog, I told my friends as I was proud of my blog. One of my friend husband took the micky out of me behind my back and really upset me at the time. I nearly stopped blogging and I am so glad I never let him win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People can be so nasty. I am so glad I'm not the only one who tells my girls to be quiet about my blog. I think we have to just stand up and be proud and not let the bullies win! x

      Delete
  10. It's so difficult these days isn't it when the entire world is online, I feel lucky in some ways to have grown up when we did. I really hope the boy has learned from his mistake and you're not troubled any more by him or others. People realy should learn to respect others online space X #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The world is so different now...I am quite glad it wasn't around when I was younger.
      Thank you x

      Delete
  11. What a difficult situation to deal with. I don't know how appearing on a blog differs from Facebook photos... it is all online. I hope your daughter hasn't got too upset about it all and hopefully she won't be bothered by the other children again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I didn't get either. They have mutual friends on FB and end up commenting on some of the same people. Becky said she was going to print his photos out to wind him up but I put a stop to that. x

      Delete
  12. I was going to say the same as Anne. It could be his way of getting her attention. I find it difficult to find the balance between including my children and protecting them. I don't use their names or show their faces. They know never to mention my blog to anyone. Good for Becky. She's made of strong stuff. #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to find a balance...She really is made of strong stuff. She is a lot calmer about things too. x

      Delete
  13. I always worry about things like this so have stopped writing about the teens so much now. I hope Becky is ok and no more comes from it all x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a worry. It annoys me that teens have to be idiots though. Why can't they just let people get on with their lives.

      Delete
  14. Aaagh! What an awful situation. But this is exactly why I took the decision when I started my blog (when my kids were only 10, 7 and 5) not to name them and not to use recognisable photos of them. Becky is very brave for letting you carry on using photos of her. I really hope it's all gone away by the start of next term.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will all have gone away by September....The boy didn't get the reaction he was looking for and even his friends thought he was a bit stupid. hehehe

      Delete
  15. It is not ok to take pictures from blogs without permission, sounds like you did the right thing. Becky has a good head on her shoulders X #pocolo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She is a good girl and very wise for her age x

      Delete
  16. So glad that Becky is OK and has risen above it all. Hopefully the boy will think twice before doing something silly in future! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well thats grim, but well done Becky for showing such a mature attitude. And to the school for dealing with it so promptly.

    It's a really hard one to call. I've used pictures of the Tubblet on my blog in the past, but not her name. Hopefully that'll be okay. Now she's older, she's less keen about being featured so I'm respecting that and trying to avoid showing her face etc. We've all got to do what we think is right and what works for one blogger isn't going to work for another. Good luck with figuring it out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was so mature throughout it.
      It is hard to call. I have said to my girls if they don't want to appear on my blog they don't have to and some times they choose not too depending on their mood. x

      Delete
  18. that is a bit weird and wold worry me too, but it sounds like Becky has the maturity to handle this situation, it was my kids who asked me to stop posting their pictures online but they all don't mind now and are happy to share their images, names and my actual blog posts with their friends and extended families, mind you they are all adults now #pocolo

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's really not on is it - and hopefully he's learnt from it. But still odd. Thanks for sharing with #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete