Wednesday 10 May 2017

Why I love having a teenager.....

It is challenging being a parent to a teen. I'm not going to lie and say it is all plain sailing but for every not so good moment we have 50 fantastic one's....I would even go as far to say there is advantages of having a teenager....I love mine. hehehe


She is my child so she gets me.....We have the same sense of humor and are on the same wavelength. We say the same things at the same time and laugh at the same jokes.

We both love You Tube. We watch a lot of the same channels....Something will come up in conversation and we will look at each other, laugh and say you saw that on You Tube.

Becky is a fab helper around the house....Ellie my youngest will help with the dishes and there are bubbles everywhere and the floor is soaked.....Becky will help with them and they are done with no mess at all....

I am usually good at ordering the weekly food shop but sometimes I forget something or we run out of something....A few weeks ago the girls went crazy for drinking milk....By mid-week we were out. Instead of us all traipsing out Becky offered to go if she could keep the change. I think she knew I only had a £2 coin and notes....She got to keep a whole pound for a 10 minute walk. hehehe

I get to share awesome TV shows with her. I introduced her to The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Boy Meets World, Glee, The 100 and Buffy the Vampire Slayer....

Teens are funny! My girl says the most ridiculous things. When she has said them she realises what she has said and has a Doh moment.

Teenagers love sleep!!!.....There was a time when I couldn't imagine Becky sleeping past 7am. Now on a weekend I am lucky if she is up before 10am. 

She can feed herself.....If there is just her and me in the house I don't have to worry about making her something to eat. She can make a meal and sometimes even cooks for me.

Becky has learned to respect my privacy.....A couple of years ago she wouldn't think twice about walking in the bathroom when I was sat on the toilet.....Now she knocks and waits or even speaks through the door. I think this is because we give her privacy in the bathroom....It is so nice to pee or bathe sometimes without an audience.

I don’t have to censor my swearing as much around her....I am a swearer but I try my hardest not to around my girls. Sometimes I let one slip out in front of Becky and I don't feel the guilt I used to. I know Becky has heard worse at school....Who am I kidding she has probably said worse herself when I am out of earshot. lol

My teen now get's it why I cry at DIY:SOS, The Supervet and shows like that.....There has been times where we have cried at TV shows or films together...

We both have a love of cheesy 90's pop music.....Steps, The Vengaboys and Aqua! 

Becky teaches me about the things that are cool....Bottle flipping, Snapchat, Fidget spinners and various other things....

When I want to use the xBox to watch YouTube she will switch it on for me and get me going....It is one piece of technology which baffles me.

Her friends are cool! I love chatting to them. I actually feel like a cool mam when I do. hehehe

If she is poorly Becky can hold her own sick bowl....When I see someone vomit I vomit too....Now Becky can be sick and deal with it herself....I will gladly clean the bowl out but I hate seeing someone being sick!

I love helping Becky with her homework.....Only because I have a fair idea what she's on about when it comes to English at least.....Last term she studied the book An Inspector Calls which I did at school and this term she is doing Macbeth which I know a little about. I can't wait to help her more.....

Big, expensive birthday parties inviting all the class is not needed anymore.....Becky is quite happy just to have a fun day out with a couple of friends. Phew! 

Becky acts cool and like a teenager but she will have her moments where she reverts to being a child. She still has fun playing at the park, playing with her sister with her dolls and doing things like Easter egg hunts....

Teens are awesome!! I love mine. Don't believe all the bad press they get.

18 comments :

  1. Ah lush! It's not long until I'll be joining you with a teen of my own - I wonder if it's different with boys?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh! I imagine it being slightly different with boys but I'm sure there'll be many reasons to love them too. hehehe

      Delete
  2. Aww how lovely, Becky sounds like a really lovely girl. I love it when you can get on with your daughters. I've actually just come back from a picnic in the park with mine, although she's not a teenager anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is. We get on fantastically well.
      Aww! The picnic sounds lovely x

      Delete
  3. Yes yes yes!! all of this! Great post - I love mine too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw! What a lovely girl, it's nice that you do things together. I'm not sure if my boys will be the same though lol. And I loved Steps! The cheesy pop is the best :) x #MMBC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh! You never know. I am sure you will find things to enjoy with your boys.
      Yes to cheesy pop x

      Delete
  5. I totally know what you mean. I love having time with my Teen and almost Teen. It isn't plain sailing, but that has its place too. It is great being able to share the old TV shows and books, now they are older. #TweensTeensBeyond

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely to read the fun side of teens for a change. I must say I've found mine lovely from age 15 plus but very tricky at age 13. there are moments always like the ones to describe above, but for me at 13 respect goes, friends become everything and parents apparently know nothing and are a total embarrassment. Perhaps I'm feeling it more at the moment with 3 age 13, I could do with more Becky behaviour between them! #TweensTeensBeyond

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, Boy Meets World! I'd totally forgotten about that one, great TV! I with you on this one - the pluses far outweigh the negatives and it's a whole lotta fun. You're lucky you relate though, I most certainly don't! It's not that I love her any less than her younger sister who is totally my personality double, I just don't know how to handle her sometimes, I don't know which words she will relate to better because she thinks so differently to me. I'm looking forward to her younger sister growing up before I can have that pleasure. Great post. #teentweensbeyond

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great advertisement for not only your teenager but teenagers everywhere. I agree that there are many advantages to being mum to a teenager and I find even if they make me mad I can't stay cross for long! Thanks for joining us again. #TweensTeensBeyond

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful post about the really positive aspects of having a teen. They really can get such a bad press, whereas in fact, they are the best of individuals and the greatest company - I completely agree with you. A lovely read #TweensTeensBeyond

    ReplyDelete
  10. ah I did comment but disappeared! Hope it returns! I was just commending such a fabulous perspective on having a teen! #TweensTeensBeyond

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely to read this today when mine has turned into a bit of a horror - so thank you! Yes to all of those things and they do get bad press, you are right. It's a bit of a rollercoaster at times but there are always those lovely things to come back to. #tweensteensbeyond

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great post! Yes! Teens are great fun. I love hanging out watching Americas Next Top Model with mine! #Tweenteensbeyond

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are so lovely and so true and I love having teens too. I think they get a bad press, they are actually incredibly good company. Although I still have to hold the sick bowl for mine because they are such babies about being sick! Thanks so much for joining us at #TweensTeensBeyond

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful post you actually have me looking forward to the teens now! Your daughter sounds wonderful 💙 #TweensTeensBeyond

    ReplyDelete