Wednesday 14 December 2016

How to survive food shopping with the kids....

I generally hate going shopping with my girls. In the run up to Christmas when they have broken up from school I have to take them with me....I am not brave enough to take them to do a huge food shop, just grabbing a few things I may have forgotten to order or the supermarket hasn't delivered with the grocery order..... It got me thinking about how to make food shopping with children easier...I have tried a few of these tricks in the past and some recently and it has really helped.


Don't shop on an empty stomach.
This goes for you and your children too....We usually visit Greggs for a sausage roll (Classy, I know) or the cafe in Asda before we go shopping. Everyone is always happier with a full belly....

Make the kids a shopping list.
Get them involved. It gives them reading practice and keeps them busy too....They feel like they are helping and gives them something to focus on.

Discuss Expectations.
Let your children know exactly what kind of behavior you expect and what the consequences will be if they don't comply. No grabbing things, no running away, no asking for ridiculous things like toys which cost £35! It sounds harsh but my girls know what is right and wrong especially when we're out in public. It seems easier at this time of year when it comes to toys....My girls understand Christmas is coming up and they will be getting things then...

Organise yourself.
Know what you are going shopping for so you're not aimlessly walking up and down the aisles....

Only take the money for what you need.
I do this and when the girls ask for things I can honestly say I don't have any money!

Channel Your Inner Mary Poppins.
She says that "In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun." so make shopping fun....Play a game of I-Spy.

Avoid the sweet aisle.
It saves an argument. 

Try to shop without a shopping trolley.
With my girls it causes arguments. Neither of them sit in it now but do want to stand on the front and also they constantly seem to get in the way. Get a basket and let them carry it if they can. If they feel useful there is less chance of stress.

Avoid if possible!
Crowded shops at this time of year aren't the best place to take your kids. So if you have a family member or friend to look after the children for a couple of hours use them....

Do you have trouble when you shop with your children?

5 comments :

  1. Brilliant list, and now that it's written down it seems obvious and so true. Yes for the sake of a sausage roll I'm sure you could save yourself a lot of agro over what to buy!
    Your Mary Poppins quote made me laugh!!
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      The only thing is now when we go to Asda my girls think they HAVE to have a sausage roll. lol x

      Delete
  2. Fab tips - I try to avoid taking the kids but sometimes you just have to don't you! I definitely agree about getting them involved with their own list x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Yep, sometimes there is no way around it.

      Delete
  3. Brilliant tips Kim! We normally end up at Greggs hehe! I loathe shopping when its packed, my patience seems to disappear, I normally like to leave the boys with Grandad when I know it's going to be busy, or I just end up stressed out and in a major arse of a mood lol :) x

    ReplyDelete