Thursday 5 November 2015

A month with braces....

Becky has had braces for about a month now....I did blog about her first week with them and how she got on....Since then she has come on leaps and bounds and is just about eating normally again..... 


Over the last month we have learned a lot....

Getting them put on doesn't hurt in the slightest but afterwards it does at least for a few days....

Use orthodontic wax to avoid mouth sores in the first few weeks of treatment....I couldn't get any in any of our local shops...Even Boots didn't have it in store but did sell it online....To apply you just squash the wax between your fingers and press it on the brackets that are bothering you.....So far she has only had to use a little bit.

She sometimes forgets she has them on.....Like the time when she went to bite an apple which is not allowed or the time she was eating pizza and instead of biting it she was pulling it using her teeth....

Becky got dry and sore lips when she first got her braces....As her mouth is open most of the time her lips are drying out quicker....She has tubs of lip gloss everywhere!!

She can't bite her nails anymore which is a good thing!!

Only Listerine mouthwash will do....She has tried the value ones from supermarkets and one from Poundland but they taste vile according to her....

Becky can't whistle anymore....lol

Oreo cookies are a big no, no....She had a nightmare cleaning her teeth after just one....

The teeth move quickly!! Becky started saying after a week or so that her teeth had started to move....I said "OK love" just to humor her but I had a good look and they do look like they have moved.....

I have become obsessed with Becky brushing her teeth....Every time she eats a meal she brushes them for 5 minutes....We have had arguments when she thought it was OK to brush them for about 30 seconds....

Every time I see toothpaste of mouthwash on offer I buy lots...hehehe 

Ice cream is no fun to eat anymore...Normally when you eat ice cream you can quickly could lick it off the teeth.....Now ice cream gets caught in between Becky's braces and she can't just lick it off.... 

The only food Becky is really missing is peanuts and corn on the cob....

After eating spaghetti bolognese or anything with mince Becky will spend twice as long brushing and picking bits of of her braces....Oops.

Halloween was hard....No toffee apples, no bobbing for apples, no chewy sweets, no boiled sweets and a limited amount of sweet things!!

Nobody cares if you have braces....When I was a Becky's age people were bullied for having them....Now it is just normal....There's about 5 kids in Becky's class who have them and a few on the waiting list for them...

I have learned my girl is so responsible and can be trusted to care for her teeth....I imagined having to nag her a lot more than I do...

6 comments :

  1. Becky has my sympathy! I got braces a few years ago at the age of 30(!) and I remember all of this only too well. Despite being a positively geriatric brace-wearer, it wasn't too awful and you are right, the teeth do movie quickly. On one occasion it was literally overnight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! Bless you! I couldn't imagine getting braces as an adult...Kids seem more adaptable.
      Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I never had braces but my sister did and I don't remember any of the issues you've highlighted. But perhaps it just passed me by as just a bystander really

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe! It must be a sister thing. Becky's sister just seems to ignore the fact she ha braces.

      Delete
  3. I came across your blog by accident, pleased I did love the way you write this really took my eye as my daughter is due to have braces fitted next week, going to get some of that wax and mouthwash in ready my daughters been dreading it because she thinks she won't be able to eat much this has reassured her a little thank you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wishing you and your daughter the best of luck!
      After the first few weeks it really isn't that bad!
      Thank you!

      Delete