Friday 21 February 2014

First Memories....

A new study claims that childhood amnesia (when early memories are forgotten) happens at around the age of seven.

From seven onwards our memories of early childhood fade. Most children by the age of eight or nine can only recall 35% of their experiences from under the age of three, according to the new findings. 

 The psychologists behind the research say this is because at around this age the way we form memories begins to change. 


 The earliest memory I have is sitting on the settee when I was four years old eating dry cereal and being told not to move by my grandad....

I'd fallen down the stairs and I've been told since that my mam and dad were out collecting money for the milk round they had....There was no mobile phones back then so they couldn't be contacted so I was waiting for my Aunt Jean to come and take me to hospital....

I don't remember going to the hospital or having a caste put onto my arm or staying the night in hospital but I do remember kicking up a fuss when I was woken up early and  there was no hot chocolate and then finding out I was on a ward full of boys! lol

Come to think of it all the memories I have from my childhood involve pain.....Falling off horses, out of trees, running into scaffolding and breaking my nose....lol 

3 comments :

  1. That's quite sad really, I need to take lots more photos so that they can remember! I have memories triggered by photos but I can never quite remember them in detail, just snippets. I remember a few things from age 5 when I was hit by a car. And one or two things that I think must have been before that, but not much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We moved a lot when I was young so I do have memories of the different countries and homes we lived in but hardly anything of the schools.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember having a dolls head with long blonde hair, I must have been 5 or 6 and I'd got it for Christmas. I just remember sitting at the table brushing the hair. I don't have many memories from my childhood, not sure why. I think when we suffer pain that it's likely to stick with us, if only as a lesson not to do that thing again! Great post Kim. x

    ReplyDelete