Wednesday 19 September 2018

Our visit to Alnwick Castle - Part 2

I started writing about our visit to Alnwick Castle and soon realised there was just too much to fit into one blog post....It was such a great day out with so much to see and do....

After seeing Harry Potter and Dumbledore we headed over to the Fusilier museum where you can explore the history of the Northumberland Fusiliers. Discover what it’s like to be a soldier, put on the uniform, fire a Vickers machine gun or march with the band!


When we went into the museum Ellie was given a clipboard with a list of things to find.....It kept her busy and give Becky, Stu and myself to have a really good look at everything. It was all so interesting. I do love a bit of history...The displays tell the stories of soldiers and their families, from recruitment to veterans and remembrance.


We then decided to eat our packed lunch....There was plenty of grass to sit on and benches dotted about....Of course the girls and my fella had to find the steepest hill to sit on. Going up wasn't too bad but I feared for my life coming down....lol


We had a good look at the cannons on the gun terrace....The views were stunning! I really loved the set up photo frames in honour of Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown who created the stunning views around the castle and River Aln for the 1st Duke of Northumberland.....


We had a quick look in the Castle Museum and the Constable's Tower but to be honest it was so full of people it was hard to see anything and it was so cramped. It felt quite claustrophobic....

Ellie was starting to get a bit sick by now of looking at historical things so we decided to go for and ice cream and a look around the gift shop. Ellie had set her heart on a broomstick from the gift shop she had seen kids walking around with them and I imagined these being about £10. I had been dreading this. You know what gift shops are like. Things are usually overpriced but I was really surprised. The broomsticks cost less than £3!


We had a good look around and I could have easily bought one of everything. They had a lot of Harry Potter related things which were being sold for great prices. I wish I had more money....lol In the end I only ended up buying some fancy jams and some of the Bertie Bott's Every Flavour jelly beans...

We had time for a quick peek in the Downton Abbey section and even though I am not a fan it was so interesting and the carriage in their was just beautiful! 


As we were about to leave we realised we had not looked in the State rooms....We didn't have to wait for a time slot and got straight in....Wow! I was blown away with how beautiful they were...Photography is not permitted within the state rooms so do have a look on the website to see what they look like. They looked like something out of a fairy tale. I think the library was my favourite of the rooms but the drawing room came a close second....I spent a good few minutes just looking at the ceiling! Ellie said when she grows up she will live in a house like this!

It was an amazing day out and now we have paid it is free to go back.....I think we will have to! There was plenty of things which we never got around to doing like the 'On Location' Film Tour, Broomstick training and the crafts when Ellie had her grumpy moment....hehehe

Have you visited Alnwick Castle before? What was your favourite part? If you haven't would you like to visit?

5 comments :

  1. What a great castle. Such rich history. #bloggersbest

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to visit the castle!! Love the photos.

    #BloggersBest

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love this castle. I have even stayed over night there. It is gorgeous and I love your photos xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like such a fun castle to explore. The broomsticks were super cheap! And those jams sound really yummy.
    I did have to smile at Ellie. My youngest is normally the one to have a grumpy moment when we are out. We have left early from places no end of times just to keep the peace! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Alnwick and I love how this is a very real post with the ups and downs of a day out. Remember buying my son's christening outfit in Alnwick many moons ago now #BloggersBest

    ReplyDelete