Wednesday 19 April 2017

When I Was Young Tag....

I do love doing tags and I saw the When I was young tag over on Babi A Fi absolutely ages ago. It's been sat in my drafts ever since. Now seems a good time to post it.

1. Do you (or your parents) have any memorabilia from when you were a baby? (ie. baby book, lock of hair, first shoes etc.)
I have a little card that was tied onto my cot when I was born saying my name, weight, etc and that's about it....My parents weren't very sentimental...


After my parents divorced my dad gave me all the family photos which there were a lot of....They are all safely stored away....

2. Do you know if you were named after anyone?
I don't think so.....My parents chose mine and my brothers names (Ben) because they were easy to spell. lol

3. And do you know of any other names your parents might have named you?
I think I was going to be called David if I was a boy....

4. What is your earliest memory?
The earliest memory I have is sitting on the settee when I was four years old eating dry cereal and being told not to move by my grandad....I'd fallen down the stairs and I've been told since that my mam and dad were out collecting money for the milk round they had....There was no mobile phones back then so they couldn't be contacted so I was waiting for my Aunt Jean to come and take me to hospital....I broke my arm....I don't remember going to the hospital or having a caste put onto my arm or staying the night in hospital but I do remember kicking up a fuss when I was woken up early and there was no hot chocolate and then finding out I was on a ward full of boys! lol

5. Did your parent/s (or older siblings) read, sing or tell stories to you? Do you remember any of these?
I remember being read stories as a child by my mother and my Grandad who lived with us.....I remember being read Each Peach Pear Plum a lot which I loved....


There was always music in our house and my dad used to have a skip hire business so my brother & I would go out with him in the wagon. The radio was always on. We would always be singing along to it with my dad.

6. When you were young, do you remember what it was that you wanted to grow up to be?
Last year I wrote a whole blog post about what I wanted to be when I grew up....I wanted to do something with horses.

7. Did you have a favourite teacher at school?
I did but it wasn't my teacher....It was my brothers. lol She was so nice and a lot of fun! Every time I walked past the classroom it looked like all the children were having the best time....

8. How did you get to school?
In primary school my parents drove me to school....We lived about a mile outside of the village where we went to school so getting a lift was easier....In secondary school I got a taxi which was paid for by the council/education people.....I lived too far out in the sticks. I got a taxi with a couple of other girls. hehehe The taxi driver was a maniac. He had 3 crashes when I was in his taxi and was forever running late.... 

9. What games did playtime involve?
British Bulldog also known as Red Rover, skipping, clapping games and all the usual...

10. Did you have a cubby house?
Ahh! I lived on a farm and had a few....hehehe I have a blog post coming soon about the adventures I had in our cubby house/den.

11. What was something you remember from an early family holiday?
I remember going to Blackpool as a child and there was a big Noah's ark ride/attraction. I was terrified of it....I can still remember those noises. I also remember going to see Jimmy Cricket the comedian.

12. What is a memory from one of your childhood birthday’s or Christmas?


When I was a child there were a couple of Christmasses where I got a trampoline. Both times I stayed on them all dayGiven the chance I think I would have slept on them too....hehehe

13. What childhood injuries do you remember?
Broken arms, legs, fingers, toes....lol I used to ride horses and fall off them a lot. The scariest was when I was about 14 I was washing the dishes a glass smashed just as I put my hand in it and I cut right on my knuckle. It was deep and about an inch long....I still have the scar now.

14. What was your first pet?
I had a long haired German Shepherd dog called Anchor...I can remember him being around when I was a toddler but I can't remember him dying so I must have still been young....

15. Did your grandparents, or older relatives tell you stories of “when I was young ..?”
Of course....My Grandad had lots of stories to tell. The funniest were about what my dad used to get up to when he was a kid...hehehe

16. What was entertainment when you were young?
I lived on a farm so I spent my days riding horses, helping on the farm and all the other usual things indoors like playing with Barbies, colouring in and playing schools.

17. Do you remember what it was it like when your family got a new fangled invention? (ie. telephone, TV, VCR, microwave, computer?)



Ahh! I remember getting an Amstrad computer and my brother and I used to fight over it so much...It was fantastic fun though. 

18. Did your family have a TV? Was it b&w or colour? And how many channels did you get?
We had a colour TV but it only had 4 channels....Imagine that now. Eek! We did at one point have a black and white one that ran off a car battery....hehehe We lived on a farm and had no electricity for a while. 

19. Did your family move house when you were young? Do you remember it?
Yes! We moved from a town to a farm in the middle of nowhere....I remember my parents packing up to move and I was sat in my old bedroom crying not wanting to leave.

20. Was your family involved in any natural disasters happening during your childhood (i.e. fire, flood, cyclone, earthquake, etc)?
I can't think of anything...There was the normal high winds and minor floods but nothing too bad.

21. Is there any particular music that when you hear it, sparks a childhood memory?
There are so many songs that make me think of fun times as a child....Any songs by Neil Diamond remind me of my mother, Walk Like An Egyptian reminds me of being in my dad's skip wagon and (Everything I Do) I Do It for You by Bryan Adams reminds me of Friday lunchtimes at school when there was a music video club....

22. What is something that an older family member taught you to do?
My Aunty Jean taught me how to knit....I used to love just knitting squares. hehehe

23. What are brands that you remember from when you were a kid?
They are just about all the same....I still miss Turkey Twizzlers....hehehe, Woolworths, Tudor crisps, and Kwik Save shops....

24. Did you used to collect anything? (ie. rocks, shells, stickers … etc.)
I had so many sticker books as a child but the only one I can remember is the Care Bears one....My friends and I also collected the Neighbours TV show collectors cards.

25. Share your favourite childhood memory.
The years I had living on a farm are very special to me....I had the best fun and adventures...

6 comments :

  1. Love this - what a fab tag. So much fun to reminisce - I was also a 1979 baby. My sister and I had an Amstrad computer too and I can remember only having four channels on the TV - what a difference compared to now! Mind you, my dad always used to say that having more channels didn't give you much more choice about what to actually watch - just more choice of what *not* to watch, lol! That taxi driver sounds like a nutter. So interesting to read about your childhood memories :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh! I thought you were younger than me. lol
      Your dad is so right. hehehe
      Thank you x

      Delete
  2. Lovely tag! I might have to steal it. So fascinating to read about how we grew up. Four tv channels. Imagine what the children would think of that now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steal away!
      I don't think my girls would cope with having only 4 channels and no Netflix. hehehe

      Delete
  3. Ah this is fab! I may do one too. My nan and grandad lived on a farm so I know how fab it is as a child. Your daughters are literally the spitting image of you as a child x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you grew up on a farm! Can't wait to have a go at this one x

    ReplyDelete