Thursday, 22 December 2016

Stay safe over Christmas....

It is a fact that more accidents happen over Christmas than any other time of the year....Thousands of people need hospital treatment for injuries such as falls, cuts and burns during the festive period.....


Keep decorations and cards away from fires and other heat sources such as light fittings and don't leave burning candles unattended....Make sure you put them out before going to bed....People are 50% more likely to die in a house fire over Christmas than at any other time of year.

Around 350 people a year are hurt by Christmas tree lights....Injuries include people falling while they're putting them up, children swallowing the bulbs, and people getting electric shocks and burns from faulty lights....Don't let children play with lights and remember to switch off the lights when going out of the house or going to bed....

Make sure you buy children's gifts for the correct age group and from proper shops that comply with safety standards.....

Look out for small items that young children could choke on....Things like parts that have fallen off toys, button batteries and burst balloons....

If your child swallows a battery of any sort get immediate medical attention....Batteries can do serious damage to their insides...When combined with saliva the electrical current from the battery produces caustic soda that burns through the throat or stomach and can cause further damage to other internal organs.

Gifts such as aftershave, perfumes, room scents and essence oils are poisonous....Remember when Santa has arrived to keep these gifts out of reach of children.

Those singing and dancing Christmas novelties are not toys even if they look like they are....They do not have to comply with toy safety regulations so be careful...

Store alcohol securely out of children’s reach. Be particularly mindful of children innocently taking a drink from a glass thinking it is a soft drink....Even the smallest amount of alcohol can be very harmful to children.....

Give yourself enough time to prepare and cook Christmas dinner....Many accidents come from rushing...Burns, cuts and slips....Keep anyone not helping with dinner out of the kitchen....

Make sure your turkey is cooked thoroughly. Check your bird is steaming hot all the way through. Cut into the thickest part of the bird to check that none of the meat is pink and ensure that the juices which run out are clear.

Keep young children out of the kitchen while you're preparing Christmas dinner to avoid burns and scalds.....One in ten children's accidents happen in the kitchen.

Have scissors handy to open presents and packaging so you're not tempted to use a knife and have screwdrivers at the ready to assemble toys....

Falls are the most common accidents so try to keep clutter to a minimum....Make sure stairs are well-lit and free from obstacles especially if you have guests going up to use the bathroom....

Mistletoe is poisonous.....Its berries contain toxic proteins that slow the heart rate and can cause hallucinations..... 

Plan New Year fireworks parties well in advance and follow the Firework Safety Code....

Stay safe and have a wonderful Christmas....

4 comments :

  1. Ah such an important message! I've got battery tea lights instead of candles but I worry about the little batteries in those becoming loose and the toddler eating them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job I've hung the mistletoe away from the kids. I knew the berries were toxic but not exactly how bad! We're ready though - loaded up with plasters, Calpol and gin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's too easy to get distracted isn't it? Have a good one x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a useful post! Lots of information which will keep lots of children safe this Christmas. Have a wonderful one x

    ReplyDelete