Tuesday 29 September 2015

Hotel Tycoon - Review!

We were recently sent the board game Hotel Tycoon by Esdevium Games to have a play with.....

Hotel Tycoon is a refresh of the classic 70s game of ‘Hotel’, which has now been brought to the 21st Century with an upgraded look, feel and gameplay. The new edition includes an astonishing array of components, including twenty-eight hotel buildings that players add to the colourful game board as they progress.

  
Players take turns to jet around the board snapping title deeds, then it’s time to build their stunning Hotels – from the ice palaces of the Artika, to the skyscrapers of Uptown Towers. And if their guests stay long enough, they might just go bankrupt when it’s time to pay the bill!

Before we got around to playing we had the hotels to make....It looked a bit daunting to start with but everything was quite simple to assemble....


 The end result was brilliant and well worth the 15 minutes or so it took to put all the buildings together.....

We do like games like this....We are a huge fan of Monopoly and I expected it to be just like that....It's not! It's better!!

Aimed at children aged 8 and over it was perfect to play as a family.....Ellie is my youngest girl and has just turned 8 and she managed to play with a little help...

It is great for teaching children about money and tactical skills....I don't want to compare it to Monopoly but I think this is more appealing for younger people as it is so bright and colourful which pulls them into it....The buildings are also just fantastic!  

I had to read the instructions a couple of times to get an idea of how to play and I had to keep referring back to them throughout the game but I think next time we play we will have the hang of it.....

 
I'm not going to try and explain the game play but the gist of it is you move around the board buying the resorts, building on the resorts and making money!! The aim of the game is to bankrupt everyone.....Some players might not be happy about this....hehehe I have a couple of sore losers in my little family....

It took us about an hour and a half to play a full game but there are several options given in the game instructions to speed up or simplify the game.....

We had a great time playing Hotel Tycoon.....The girls have asked to play again already and I think we will on Saturday night when there is no X-Factor on again! 

When I was packing it back into it's box I didn't expect all the buildings to fit back in but they did! Phew! 

This would be a fantastic game to play as a family on a games night or dare I even say at Christmas.....You can buy this from most places which sell board games....Toys R Us, Argos, Amazon, The Entertainer, Tesco, Smyths Toys and even Harrods...Do look around as I noticed the price does vary from £14.99 all the way up to £24.99....

We were sent Hotel Tycoon free of charge for our honest review.....This is it! All thoughts and opinions are our own!

14 comments :

  1. This sounds great. I love board games, unfortunately my daughter is too young and my husband is too miserable, so I have no-one to play them with, lol!
    #triedtested

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! Such a shame....Hopefully your girl will love board games when she's older x

      Delete
  2. Love how colourful it is, definitely looks a nice change from monopoly too! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love a good board game for family fun #triedtested

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love board games. This looks like a more fun version of monopoly (which is a good thing)! #triedtested x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks fun, we love board games here, especially at Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love games like this!! I have played similar, they are so much fun and I love that they all bring the family together! I might have to buy this for Christmas!! #triedtested

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the sound of this - perfect for Christmas! Thanks for linking up with #TriedTested

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't say the idea of reading the instructions more than once appeals to me - sounds too complicated for the kids just yet. I'll have to bear it in mind for when they're older.
    Thanks for sharing your review on #TriedTested this week x

    ReplyDelete