Wednesday, 5 June 2013

Babies Sleeping in Cardboard Boxes?!

A newborn baby sleeping in a cardboard box?

I first thought what a horrific idea until I had read the full article on BBC News.

In Finland mums-to-be are given a baby box by the state. The box contains a starter kits of baby clothes, sheets and toys and the box itself can be used as a bed.

 The maternity package which has been handed out for 75 years is designed to give all babies an equal start in life.

What's in the box:


A Mattress, mattress cover, undersheet, duvet cover, blanket, sleeping bag/quilt, The box itself doubles as a crib, Snowsuit, hat, insulated mittens and booties, Light hooded suit and knitted overalls, Socks and mittens, knitted hat and balaclava, Bodysuits, romper suits and leggings in unisex colours and patterns, Hooded bath towel, nail scissors, hairbrush, toothbrush, bath thermometer, nappy cream, wash cloth, Cloth nappy set and muslin squares, Picture book and teething toy, Bra pads and finally condoms!! 

With the mattress in the bottom, the box becomes a baby's first bed. Many children, from all social backgrounds, have their first naps within the safety of the box's four cardboard walls. 

I think it's such a simple and practical idea! I love the idea of starting all babies off on an equal footing by providing a box of standard essentials rather than handing out money which will in some cases may be spent on the latest buggy leaving the family with little left over for what the baby really needs....I think it would make families feel cared for to receive something like this as the items included are very well thought out!!
 

7 comments :

  1. As a Finn, I can say that this is a true story. Many of my friends have uses the box as the first bed for their children. A full sized crib is a bit large for a newborn, so this box is more like a small nest for the baby. Some companies sell linens to cover the cardboard walls and many mothers make their own.

    I took the package when I was pregnant with my first daughter. She never slept in the box, but we have used most of the other stuff that was included. With my second daughter, I didn't take the package, as we still had all the clothes, nail scissors, etc. from the first package. Instead, I got 140 euros.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to hear from someone which has used one!!
      They are such a great thing! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow. That's brilliant. Much better than the bounty packs over here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I thought so too....
      The Bounty pack I had as lovely as it was wasn't very helpful in the long term...The samples were great but didn't last long..

      Delete
  3. I read this article too and thought it was such a lovely idea and so nice that its become a right of passage in Finland.
    They should absolutely do something like that here, in place of the endless of government hand outs!! That way nobody can spend money meant for starting up life as a family on inappropriate or selfish things!

    Hayley
    Sparkles &

    Stretchmarks

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. both my kids were born in finland and we got one of these boxes for them. they really are ace. the stuff is great quality and it's not just the clothes but the little things like a bath thermometer that I probably would never have remembered to buy that make it great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely article, made me feel warm and fuzzy!

    ReplyDelete