Friday 14 December 2012

Head Lice Rant!!!

I'm itching!!! 

Not because my children have come home with head lice....But because as we were sat in the church there was a woman sat in front of me and her head was crawling with them.....You could see all the eggs at the back and the lice crawling about on the top!! It made me feel quite ill....I wanted to say something but she wasn't the type of person  who you say things like that too if you know what I mean...There is no way she didn't know....There was too many and they were too big....Like the size of those little annoying flies you get in the summer!

 If her head was like that I'm guessing her child's is the same because if she can't be bothered to delouse herself there is no hope for her child!!!! I feel so sorry for her child....

My girls have had headlice once each...Not bad considering Becky is 10! I tend to use hair gel & hairspray on my two girls so their hair is usually hard....lol

 The first time was Becky in July 2009! I remember because it was the end of term at school and Becky was doing a fashion show and I'm guessing all the kids hair was brushed with the same brush!! Took weeks of me shampooing with lotions and sitting there with the nit comb for hours to be free of the pesky little critters!! I'm really surprised no one else in the house caught them!!

Hedrin became my best friend....Seemed to go through gallons of the stuff.....

Ellie caught them earlier on this year.....Just after going back to school after the summer.....I always put her hair in a ponytail but she got into the habit of taking the hair bobble out and her hair was free and an ideal home for little critters!! I had seen her itching a few times after she had come in from school one day....I checked her head & there was one nit!! It was huge and she'd obviously been touching heads with someone that day!! There was a few eggs at the back but I got rid of them quickly!! 

When I was at school the 'nitty nurse' used to come in and check everyone's hair.....I really need they think they need her back!! It may actually encourage parents like the one I saw today into doing something about their hair....

I think their is so many stupid policies about head-lice in schools....There is in my girls school anyway...

Like if you find nits in the morning as your getting ready for school you are not allowed to take them in late while you delouse them....You have to take them in on time whether they have nits or not....To spread them around the school....

If you find nits in your childs hair you can tell the teacher but they are not allowed to tell the rest of the parents in your childs class someone had nits who could of been into contact with your child!! A general letter is sent out to the whole school saying nit's have been reported!!

Headlice myths

Myth: Headlice prefer clean hair....
Lice like any sort of hair, clean or dirty, although regularly washing and combing hair makes them easier to detect.

Myth: Lice can jump from one head to another....
Lice cannot fly, jump or hop. They spread through head-to-head contact.

Myth: Headlice can be caught from animals....
Headlice affect only humans and cannot be caught from, or passed on to, animals.

Myth: Headlice will not live on a shaved head....
Headlice can live on hairs as short as half a centimetre, although shorter hair may make them easier to spot.

Myth: Clothes and bedding need to be fumigated after a headlice infestation....
Headlice need to maintain contact with a host body to survive, and any that leave the host voluntarily are likely to be approaching death and unable to start a new colony. 

I bet you are itching now too!! 

No comments :

Post a Comment